Chris Banes

I work as a DPE in the Android Developer Relations team. This is my personal blog and any views expressed here are mine, and not my employers.

  1. SystemUiHelper

    Here's something Roman Nurik and I wrote to help with dealing with Android System UI visibility across the different API levels. It allows you to provide a level specifying how the System UI's visibility should be changed: LEVEL_LOW_PROFILE, LEVEL_HIDE_STATUS_BAR, LEVEL_LEAN_BACK or LEVEL_IMMERSIVE…

    on android, androiddev, systemui

  2. Palette preview

    Tried the Android L preview SDK? You may have noticed a new support library called Palette. Palette allows you to extract colors from images for use in your UI (sound familiar?). Anyway I have made a mistake and not pushed any javadoc for it. So here is my quick overview…

    on color, androiddev, palette

  3. Philm is now open source

    If you haven't seen Philm yet, it is a movie collection and information app that I created for Android. It uses the Trakt and TMDB APIs. This morning I pushed the source of Philm to GitHub under the Apache v2.0 licence. This does not mean that I have stopped…

    on androiddev, philm

  4. Measuring Text

    If you start manually drawing things to Android's Canvas, you will probably start to draw text as well. When doing so you need to know where to position the text when you draw, and to do that you will need to measure the text before drawing it, to compute the…

    on android, androiddev, text

  5. Colour Matching - Part 2

    This post is the second part in a two part series. You can find the first post here. Carrying on from the previous post, we now have the palette of colours which make up our chosen image. The palette can be retrieved by calling getQuantizedColors() on our MedianCutQuantizer. We could…

    on android, color, ui, colour

  6. New blog... again

    Just a quick post. You may have noticed that this site has changed yet again. After my Color Matching post last week, I saw quite a few comments saying that the site was slow. The site was WordPress based with all of the standard optimizations: W3 Total Cache for static…

    on ghost, blog, wordpress